- November 2017 - Airbus DiPart 2017 - Verification and validation of OpenFOAM for high-lift aircraft flows
- November 2017 - Supercomputing 2017 (Lenovo) - Improved aerodynamics using HPC
- May 2017 - ParCFD 2017 - High-fidelity industrial simulations in OpenFOAM on ARCHER - perspectives on the need for exa-scale
- October 2016 - NAFEMS Hybrid RANS-LES Seminar - Hybrid RANS-LES –Automatic Mesh Refinement (AMR) and HPC Considerations
- August 2016 - Oxford-Royale Summer School - Motivational talk for 16-18 year Oxford summer school students on turbulence and finding a fun career in science and engineering
- May 2016 - NASA Ames Research Centre AMS Seminar Series - Recent experiences of modeled-stress-depletion using DDES and IDDES for the 30P30N three-element airfoil
- February 2016 - TEDx Oxford - Turbulence, Finding Order in Chaos
- February 2016 - High Performance Computing & Big Data 2016 conference (invited talk) - Developing an Improved Aerodynamic Design Process for the Aerospace and Automotive Industries using HPC
- February 2016 - Institut de Mécanique des Fluides de Toulouse (IMFT) - Towards an entirely virtual design process: The challenge for turbulence modeling
- September 2015 - University of Manchester - Engaging with US Academia and Industry for aerospace research
- May 2015 - Oxford University E-Research Centre - Towards an entirely virtual engineering design process: The challenge for turbulence modeling
- February 2015 - Boeing R&D, Computational Challenges for aerodynamic design in Formula 1
- February 2015 - NASA Ames Research Centre, Computational Challenges for aerodynamic design in Formula 1
- October 2014 - Gdansk University, Embedded hybrid RANS-LES approaches.
- August 2014 - Toro Rosso Formula 1 Team, Application of Elliptic Blending models for complex geometries.
- March 2014 - NASA Ames Research Centre, An Embedded Hybrid RANS-LES Approach for 3D Separated Flows.
- March 2014 - University of California - Los Angeles (UCLA) - Faculty of Engineering, An Embedded Hybrid RANS-LES Approach for 3D Separated Flows.
- March 2014 - Barcelona Supercomputing Centre (BSC), Aero-acoustic prediction of a 3-element airfoil using hybrid RANS-LES methods.
- October 2013 - Oxford University - Faculty of Engineering, Overview of recent Hybrid RANS-LES developments at the University of Manchester.
- Ashton, N., 'How Safe is Your Plane?' BBC Focus Magazine, August 2016
- Ashton, N., 'More than a load of hot air?' BBC Focus Magazine, March 2016
- Ashton, N., 'Flying Solar' BBC Focus Magazine, August 2015
- Ashton, N., 'A New Dawn for NASA' BBC Focus Magazine, March 2015
- Ashton, N., 'How to build a 1000mph Supercar' Science Uncovered, Future Publishing, June 2014
- Ashton, N, Fuchs, M, Mockett, C, Duda, B,. 'EC135 Helicopter Fuselage', in 'Go4hybrid - Grey Area Mitigation for Hybrid RANS-LES Methods', 2018, Springer
- Ashton, N, Revell, A, Poletto, R.,'Grey-Area Mitigation for the Ahmed Car Body Using Embedded DDES', in 'Progress in Hybrid RANS-LES Modelling, Notes on Numerical Fluid Mechanics and Multidisciplinary Design 130', S. Girimaji et al. (eds.), Springer
- Poletto, R, Revell, A, Craft, T, Ashton, N.,'Embedded DDES of 2D Hump Flow', in 'Progress in Hybrid RANS-LES Modelling, Notes on Numerical Fluid Mechanics and Multidisciplinary Design 117', S. Fu et al. (eds.), Springer
Journal and Conference Papers
- Ashton N, Skaperdas, V 'Validation and Verification of OpenFOAM for high-lift aircraft flows', AIAA Journal of Aircraft, In-Review
- Ashton N, Denison M, Zastawny M '3rd High-Lift Workshop Summary Paper - OpenFOAM, STAR-CCM+ & LAVA Simulations on Unstructured grids (invited) ', AIAA SciTech
- Skaperdas V, Ashton N 'Development of high-quality hybrid unstructured meshes for the GMGW-1 workshop using ANSA (invited)', AIAA SciTech
- Brehm C., Browne O, & Ashton N 'Towards a Viscous Wall Model for Immersed Boundary Methods', AIAA SciTech
- Ashton N, 'Recalibrating Detached-Eddy Simulation to eliminate modeled-stress depletion', AIAA Aviation 2017, Denver, https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2017-4281
- Ashton N, Chrysokentis G, Owen H, Lehmkuhl O, Mira D'Assessment of the LES capabilities of Alya, OpenFOAM and STAR-CCM+ for complex turbulent flows at low and high Reynolds numbers', ParCFD 2017, Glasgow
- Ashton N, 'High-fidelity industrial simulations in OpenFOAM on ARCHER - perspectives on the need for exa-scale', ParCFD 2017, Glasgow
- Ashton N, Stoellinger M., 'Computation of Turbulent Flow in a Rotating Pipe using an Elliptic Blending Reynolds Stress Model', AIAA Aviation 2016, Washington D.C
- Ashton N, West A & Mendonca F., 'Flow dynamics past a 30P30N three-element high-lift airfoil using Improved Delayed Detached-Eddy Simulation', AIAA Journal, http://dx.doi.org/10.2514/1.J054521
- Ashton N, West A, Revell A, & Lardeau S,. 'Assessment of RANS and DES models for realistic automotive models ', Computers & Fluids, Vol 128, pp 1-15, DOI:10.1016/j.compfluid.2016.01.008
- B. Owen, C. Lowe, N. Ashton, P. Mandal, S. Rogers, W. Wein, C. McCollum, A. Revell, (2015) ‘A Pilot study comparing computational hemodynamics of Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm geometries derived from 3D Ultrasound and Computerised Tomography’, Journal of Engineering in Medicine, Vol 230, pp 201-210, DOI: 10.1177/0954411915626742
- Stoellinger M, Roy R, Ashton N., 'Application of an Elliptic Blending Reynolds Stress Model in Attached and Separated flows', AIAA Aviation 2015
- Ashton N, West A & Mendonca F., 'Slat Noise Prediction using Hybrid RANS-LES methods on Structured and Unstructured Grids', 21st AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference, Aviation Forum 2015, DOI: 10.2514/6.2015-3139
- Ashton N, Revel A., 'Comparison of RANS and DES methods for the DrivAer automotive body', SAE 2015 World Congress, 2015-01-1538
- Ashton N, Revell A., 'Experimental and Numerical investigation of a Le Mans Prototype (LMP2) racing car', SAE 2015 World Congress
- Ashton N, Revell A., 'Key factors in the use of DDES for the flow around a simplified car', International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, 54, pp 236-249, DOI:10.1016/j.ijheatfluidflow.2015.06.002
- Ashton N et al. 'The Computational Fluid Dynamics Rupture Challenge 2013 – Phase II: Variability of Hemodynamic Simulations in Two Intracranial Aneurysms', Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, DOI:10.1115/1.4031794
- Ashton, N., Lardeau, S., Dawson, P., & Revell, A., 'Calibration, Validation and Development of DDES Models in a Commerical CFD Solver For Flow Subject To 3D Separation'. In 'ETMM10: 10th International ERCOFTAC Symposium on Engineering'.
- Ashton, N., & Revell, A., 'Investigation into the predictive capability of Advanced Reynolds-Averaged Navier-Stokes Models for the DrivAer Automotive Mode'l. In 'IMechE International Vehicle Aerodynamics Conference' (pp. 125–137). Woodhead Publishing.
- Ashton, N., Keshmiri, A. & Revell, A., ‘Uncertainty Quantification of Boundary Conditions for the CFD Simulation of a Rabbit Aorta', Proc. 7th World Congress of Biomechanics, Boston, USA, 2014
- Andrews, K., Ashton, N. & Keshmiri, A., ‘Use of Fluid-Structure Coupling to Investigate the True Physiological Hemodynamics Experienced by Endothelial Cells in Synthetic Grafts', Proc. 7th World Congress of Biomechanics, Boston, USA, 2014.
- Ashton, N., Mira, D, Moulinec, C, Revell, A, Owen, H, Vaquez, M, Houzeaux, G., 'Application Of RANS And Hybrid RANS-LES Models To A High-Lift Aircraft Wing And Fuselage',XXI Fluid Mechanics Conference, AGH–UST, Krakow, 15 – 18 June 2014
- Ashton, N., Lardeau, S., West, A., Revell A,. 'Application of Elliptic Blending EVM AND RSM RANS Models to Automotive Relevant Test Cases', in 11th World Congress on Computational Mechanics (WCCM XI)
- Ashton, N, Revell, A., Prosser, R., & Uribe, J., 'Development of an Alternative Delayed Detached-Eddy Simulation Formulation Based on Elliptic Relaxation'. AIAA Journal, 51(2), 513–519.
- Ashton, N. (2012). Implementation and Testing of an Alternative DDES Formulation Based on Elliptic Relaxation. PhD Thesis, University of Manchester.
- Ashton, N., Prosser, R., & Revell, A., 'A hybrid numerical scheme for a new formulation of delayed detached-eddy simulation (DDES) based on elliptic relaxation'. In Journal of Physics: Conference Series (Vol. 318, p. 042043).